Home theatre systems are often wired or wireless. With the transition to wireless, the choice of surround sound receivers is expanding.
So what is the best surround sound receiver in the market? Below, we look and review the best surround sound receivers on the market.
There are types of surround sound receivers, namely digital surround sound receivers and analog surround sound receivers. Let’s take a look at them one by one.
|Denon AVR-X4500H Receiver||Best Overall|
|Home Audio Power Amplifier System||Budget Pick|
|Pyle PDA5BU Amplifier Receiver Stereo||Upgrade Pick|
1. Denon AVR-X4500H Receiver
Multi Zone Out – Denon AVR-X4500H 9.2-Ch. 4K Ultra HD, 3D, and HDR Ready Network A/V Receiver with Bluetooth, USB, and HD Radio
2. Home Audio Power Amplifier System
- Comes with dual power amplifiers
- Includes a 19" LCD display
- Includes an on-board dual RCA pre-amp and crossover
- Includes built-in high-resolution 24-bit digital signal processing
- Has a front panel three-band level control
- Includes a three-channel mixer with a built-in microphone pre-amp
- Includes a dual 3-Band equalizer with multiple input jacks
- Includes an external speaker/recording output jack
- Includes external jack for a CD player, tape deck of VCR
- Includes a power amplifier and amplifier volume control
- Can be a little bit complicated to use
- Needs to be connected to an external amplifier with an MP3 decoder and a power amplifier
This great sound amplifier is a 120-watt mini-amplifier designed to deliver impressive sound to your home theater. It has a wide frequency response range, and it can even handle loud music and bass. It is a 2-channel stereo amplifier capable of driving large speakers or more than eight to ten standard 8-ohm speakers.
3. Pyle 1000 Watt Premium Home Audio Power Amplifier
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly, low-profile amplifier that can handle all your audio needs, then you should look into the Pyle Pro PT1100RM.
This is a sound system that is great when you’re hosting a party or simply want to relax and listen to some tunes in a large room or outdoors.
It gives you the ability to connect 4 speakers of your choice and the subwoofer. The connections are pretty basic with just input and output jacks.
4. Pyle 3000 Watt Premium Home Audio Power Amplifier
- 4.0 Amp channels
- No separate volume control
The Pyle 3000 Watt amplifier is a true piece of work, designed to run your external speaker systems. It’s preset to fit most sound enclosures and car stereos, and it has a dual RCA/headphone jack input.
The sound post/subwoofer input is separate from the other inputs, which makes it easy to set up. It also contains a set of outputs for connecting external amplifiers.
The Pyle amps remote control can be changed to work with all the sound systems in your home. It significantly lowers the noise of your audio system and allows for full control of all the speakers.
5. Wireless Bluetooth Power Amplifier System 300W 4 Channel Home Theater Audio Stereo Sound Receiver Box Entertainment
- 300 watts of power
- Reception distance up to 30 feet
- Bluetooth compatibility with wire to wire connection
- USB port
The PT390BTU Sound System is a 300W 4.1ch wireless surround sound system. It’s the ideal stereo system that transforms your house into a state of the art entertainment center.
The 300W surround sound system has a total of 5.25” speakers that can deliver a sound quality comparable to a professional-level home theater system.
It is also Bluetooth compatible, giving you the freedom to connect and play music wirelessly.
6. Pyle PDA5BU Amplifier Receiver Stereo
- Good price
- Year warranty
7. Wireless Bluetooth Power Amplifier System
- The receiver is Bluetooth compatible
- You can plug in other media devices
- It has support for MP3 playback, flash drives
- It has Bluetooth connection capabilities
- It has a radio receiver
- It has many audio inputs
- The receiver is suited for multiple functions
- You can set it up anywhere
- It has 200 watts of power
- It has an LCD display
- The Bluetooth connection isn’t the greatest.
- Home theater and entertainment systems are great, but there’s nothing like the sound quality that you can get from a setup that can offer you surround sound.
The Pyle model PDA6BU is a six-channel amplifier that is both wireless and has Bluetooth capabilities. It’s a 200 watt three-channel amplifier that you can also set up pretty much anywhere you want.
It only weighs 9.6 lbs, which is pretty lightweight for an amplifier. It’s about the size of a shoebox, so you don’t need a lot of room for it.
8. Home Audio Power Amplifier System
- Very powerful two-channel stereo audio system with incredible output power of 120W per channel.
- The system comes with a 12V DC power supply adapter and power cord.
- It features a complete function remote control for easy volume and power adjustments.
- It works well with different types of speakers and delivers the highest quality sound.
- Works well with only a few types of speakers.
- The Pyle PCAU46A-BK is a great stereo amplifier that comes with a great 2-channel power output of 120W per channel, which means you can easily hook it up to different types of speakers and watch the magic unfold.
- It comes with a complete function remote control for easy volume and power adjustments.
9. Denon AV Receivers Audio & Video Component Receiver BLACK
- Power for the whole house
- Multiple inputs
- Easy setup
- No Bluetooth
- No wifi music streaming
The Denon AVRX1500 is a 7.2 channel AV receiver with Wi-Fi. It contains Wi-Fi for streaming music. It has Bluetooth capability. It has almost every electronic input you could want.
Setup of this unit is simple. The remote is one of the better ones for a receiver.
The Denon AVRX1500 has given excellent sound performance. It is very powerful, and it has controls that make it easy to tweak the sound to your satisfaction.
10. Onkyo TX-RZ820 THX-Certified 7.2-Channel 4K Network A/V Receiver
- Outstanding sound quality
- Great design
- Works with both wired and wireless headphones
- Surround sound for depth
- THX certified
- Comes with a remote
- Lack of 2.0/5.1 sound
- Lack of Bluetooth
The Onkyo TX-RZ820 is the top model of an entire series of amazing Onkyo home cinema receivers. The sound on this one is amazing and really adds a nice touch to watching your favorite movies.
For those that are interested, you can get the TX-RZ820 with the Onkyo 5.1-channel speaker setup and even better sound. It’s not included in the bundle we recommend, but you can buy it separately if you want.
It’s also equipped with both Ethernet and dual HDMI outputs, the former of which can be found in the form of a Wi-Fi adapter. Connect it to your home router and you’ll have access to a wealth of content, including Spotify.
11. Denon AVR-S540BT Receiver
- All compatible with Alexa
- Sleek design
- Easy to use
Performs up to 5.2.2
- can play music from any compatible smart device
- Bluetooth and WiFi
- Easy to install
- Come with an incline stand
12. Yamaha RX-V685 7.2-Channel AV Receiver
- Supports AirPlay and Chromecast built-in
- 7.2 channels
- 3D ready
- 4K Ultra HD pass-through
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth built-in
- 4 HDMI inputs
- Yamaha Cinema Immersion speakers
- Works with Alexa and Google Assistant
- Dolby Atmos, DTS:X & DTS Virtual:X
- 4K Ultra HD passthrough
- RX-V685 does not have Bluetooth pairing capability.
- With a built-in MusicCast, Bluetooth, and Alexa compatibility, this receiver is an all-in-one setup that you can use to stream music from any device using either Wi-Fi or Bluetooth.
- It also supports the new Dolby Atmos and DTS:X object-based surround sound formats, which bounces sound off surfaces like walls.
- The 4K/60 capability supports anything you can throw at it, including gaming, and features a unified-design user interface that supports the remote, home controller, and control apps (Yamaha MusicCast Controller available for iOS, Android, and Windows).
- This Yamaha AV receiver’s network capability allows you to update firmware, check for software updates, change inputs manually, and access various control functions.
13. Yamaha R-S202BL Stereo Receiver
- Easy to connect to the entertainment devices
- Easy to use
- Very ergonomic design
- Budget Friendly
Yamaha is a Japanese company specialized in producing audio and home theater equipment and is among the most famous names in home audio today. The Yamaha R-S202BL stereo receiver is a great choice for those of you who are looking for a moderately priced, feature-packed product.
This receiver is a perfect choice if you are looking for a good replacement for your home theater system. The sound quality is excellent and is sure to impress anyone who uses it. R-S202BL also has many advanced features.
This is a two-channel receiver that lets you connect two sets of speakers.
14. Yamaha RX-V385 5.1-Channel 4K Ultra HD AV Receiver
- 4K upscaling
- Bluetooth, Wi-Fi
- Works with Alexa
- Easy to setup
- Compatible with android and iPhone devices
- High power handling
- Six HDMi inputs
- Subwoofer pre-out
- Comes with a remote control
The Yamaha RX-V385 may not be the most luxurious receiver available, but it is a pretty decent one with some decent capabilities that fit the needs of a large variety of needs. Its more refined and powerful brother, the RX-V485, is a bit pricier, but that one comes with HDMI 2-in and 2-out ports and a host of other respective features, while the RX-V385 doesn’t offer that.
The Yamaha RX-V385 comes with a good video upscaling prowess. You can hook it up to a TV via HDMI, and it will make it easy to watch your videos in 4k, along with being able to adjust picture settings.
15. Leviton AEH50-WH Architectural Edition Powered By JBL 5-Channel Surround Sound Home Cinema Speaker System
- The sound quality is superb
This surround sound system is definitely one of the best in the market right now. It has a very affordable price tag and comes with a wireless subwoofer.
The 5.1 channel surround sound can be controlled by the YST-W100iH wireless remote or by the included control center. The bass is definitely weak in this system so it will barely be able to fill up a small room.
If you want to fill up a big room with bass, you will need a whole lot of these systems. But in a small to medium-size room, this system will do a decent job at high volumes, which means that it will be very suitable for parties.
16. Sony STRDH590 5.2 Multi-Channel 4k HDR AV Receiver
- Lots of connectivity options
- Maintains 7.2 and 5.2 surround sound
- Supports just about any audio source you can throw at it
- High-Resolution Audio compatibility
Sony has always been one of the most dependable companies when it comes to consumer electronics. The STRDH590 is an excellent receiver for 4K HDR movies in 5.2.1 surround format.
There are 7 HDMI ins and 2 outs which puts this thing at an advantage over most similar receivers. It also supports 3D video, ARC and HDCP2.2.
Sony also included two alternative ways of splitting your surround channel at the receiver level. One of them being by using the front left/right outputs of HDMI outs and the second being optical digital cables.
17. Onkyo TX-NR585 7.2 Channel Network A/V Receiver Black
- Supports 4K Ultra HD pass-through with HDCP 2.2 on all inputs
- Bluetooth wireless technology with aptX
- Apple AirPlay 2, DLNA as well as built-in Wi-Fi
- Compatible with Dolby Atmos
In a market where most receivers are alike, the TX-NR585 distinguishes itself by packing in as much as possible for a lower price than flagship models.
With the vast number of inputs and outputs, you should find something that suits your system, no matter what.
18. Pioneer Dolby Atmos-Ready Audio & Video Component Receiver Black
If you can afford the Pioneer Elite VSX-73T, then I highly recommend you consider this Dolby Atmos-Ready Audio & Video Component Receiver. You’ll be able to enjoy the new of multiple layers of audio… and music.
With up to a 7.2-channel system, this receiver helps you get the best surround sound experience. It has Dolby Atmos and DTS:X capability, which are the latest methods of creating a surround sound environment.
Not only does it deliver 3D sound, but it also offers 4K video pass-through with HDCP 2.2, HDR and BT.2020 compatibility. Dolby surround delivers an immersive sound without wires and setup is easy.
19. Denon AVR-S920W-R 7.2 Channel Full 4K Ultra HD AV Receiver
- Multi-room audio via Bluetooth
- Large and detailed graphical on-screen display
- Listening modes tailored for numerous physical spaces
- Low-downtime maintenance thanks to automatic firmware and pre-calibration
- Powerful Audyssey Dynamic Volume and Dynamic EQ
- Supports Ultra HD video with 4K 60p 4:4:4 color resolution and HDR10
- AirPlay, AirPlay 2, Bluetooth, Spotify Connect, TIDAL, Pandora, Denon Link HD, and HEOS multi-room integration
- Dual HDMI outputs with 4k resolution upscaling to 4k
- No Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant integration
- No Wi-Fi or Bluetooth connectivity
- Audyssey Dynamic Volume and Dynamic EQ
- May cause distortion with certain low-end or high-end speaker models
This is an amazing surround sound receiver perfect for music lovers and people who want a great performance out of their home theater system.
The sound quality is great, and the Denon AVR-S920W-R has so many useful features you’ll be hard-pressed to find another receiver that’s as compliant or as feature-rich.
When you turn the system on, you’ll be welcomed by a large and richly detailed graphical on-screen display.
20. Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3070 Network AV Receiver
- Stylish and sturdy design.
- 6 HDMI inputs.
- 3D and 4K video support.
- 8 channels of output
- Dual opposing airflow on top for better cooling
- Works with Alexa and has Bluetooth
- High price
- No input for antenna
The Yamaha RX-a3070 is a good choice for those who want some of the best quality audio quality but without breaking the bank. It is a 7.1 network A/V receiver that has Bluetooth built in and can be controlled through wifi.
Its clear and vivid sound and deep bass will definitely be felt when you use it. It has 8 channel outputs and the use of a custom Yamaha MusicCast controller. It also uses high quality parts to give the user a top quality experience and quality sound.
It is loaded with many great features like compatibility with DSD and FLAC, high resolution audio streaming through Bluetooth and a USB input.
21. Yamaha RX-V583BL 7.2-Channel 4K Ultra HD MusicCast AV Receiver
- Builds on the strengths of the RX-V581
- Runs 4K content
- Stream and search via Google Assistant voice commands
- Excellent video player
- AudioCast is good
- Nice music player
- Solid Internet radio
- Excellent Bluetooth
- Wireless and Analog streaming
- Great sound quality
If you're looking for a soundbar to give you the best surround sound, the 583B is hard to beat. What's more, you can play loud enough to bother your neighbors, and it won't distort or give you rattling if you go too far.
Fortunately, input-wise, you're covered. The 583B has the usual HDMI and optical for video, but it's also got Bluetooth for wirelessly playing music from your phone, although we prefer the direct line via optical. This means you can wirelessly connect your TV audio to the receiver, and then connect the receiver to your TV, so you still get access to TV software like Amazon Alexa, Netflix, Hulu, etc.
It runs 4k Netflix and Amazon content, which is neat. It also has Google Assistant capabilities, which we'll cover in a second. What we're saying is, they've thought of everything despite the fairly high price-point.
22. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 Ch 4K AV Receiver
- Amazon Alexa voice integration through Denon HEOS AV receiver and Alexa smartphone app (Update version with Google Assistant voice control via the HEOS app)
- High quality sound in a small and compact form factor
- Features Dolby Atmos and DTS:X technologies for immersive surround sound
- 16-channel configuration and HDMI video up-scaling for compatibility with DVD players, Blu-ray players, and cable boxes
- HEOS multi-room technology and Bluetooth connectivity for wireless streaming
- Advanced GUI with the highest resolution display and smooth animation
- Isolated audio circuitry with dedicated power supply
- Supports Blu-ray disc playback in native Full HD, 4K Ultra HD video, and 3D video
- Features six HDMI inputs on the front and rear panels for compatibility with various HDMI-equipped audio/video sources
- Listen to Internet radio through HEOS wireless speakers
23. Denon AVR-S640H 4K Ultra HD Receiver
- High quality sound with Dolby Atmos/ DTS:X—
- Clear, detailed sound, whether listening to the fountain trickling on your patio or the lead singer in the concert hall.
- 4K and 4K/HDR pass-through— content looks great on a 4K TV with the receiver’s HDCP 2.2 support
- Setup is a snap, even in older homes
- Setup is quick and easy using Denon Setup—
- Quality design gives a reliable experience with quality build
- Alexa and Denon HEOS combine for brilliant multi-room audio control
- Support for streaming services—such as Pandora, Spotify and Amazon Music—as well as internet radio
- Free Amazon Alexa— voice control on a range of smart home devices from lights and thermostats to compatible Amazon Alexa— devices, free for a limited time
24. Denon AVR-X2500H Integrated Network AV Receiver
- Comes with an HDMI cable and a Zorro Sounds polishing cloth
- Easy to set up and control
The Denon AVR-X2500H offers a premium home theater experience with an amazing surround sound and compatibility with Alexa voice control, with both HDMI video switching and 4K video support.
Control the receiver using Amazon Alexa and the free Denon remote app. A new level of control is at your fingertips with Amazon Alexa voice control.
The powerful amplifier delivers 145 watts per channel and offers 8 HDMI inputs to connect all your compatible devices to the receiver for HD audio and video synchronization.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What's the best surround sound receiver?
The best surround sound receiver depends on what your needs are. Have you ever been to your friend’s house and marveled how the surround sound system was so much better than yours?
That’s because surround sound systems are more intricate than you’d think.
For example, you can’t just buy any receiver and expect it to work with whatever speakers you own. Different receivers are made to work with different sound systems, maybe even a certain brand or model of speakers.
So the best surround sound receiver for you depends on what you already own, what you’re willing to invest, and what you expect to get out of it. It also depends on your purpose to use the receiver in the first place.
What is the best Dolby Atmos receiver?
The best Dolby Atmos receiver is the Yamaha RX-A3050. It has seven amplifier circuits and a power output of as high as 130 watts per channel at 8 ohms. It also has advanced sound settings for an enhanced listening experience. It’s also well-supported hardware-wise with many online resources to guide for its use.
Which receiver is better Onkyo or Denon?
These days, we come across more than a few of receivers from these makers. Both brands are well known in the world of home theater products, and both have a line of receivers with some fine specifications.
They have different approaches to the selection of components used inside these receivers. Onkyo is known to be more precise with the components it uses. At the same time, it’s also customarily above other models which offer the same features. For example, the TX-NR525 is a model that rivals the Denon AVR-X2300W. While both receivers come with similar features like 3D pass-through, Airplay, Bluetooth. The TX-NR525 offers better components and therefore has a more power output.
You can confidently say that the Onkyo and Denon brands are equally good and you can still choose what suits you best, depending on your preferences.
Are Yamaha receivers better than Denon?
When it comes to AV receivers, there are really only two premium brands that you need to know about: Denon and Yamaha. One will tend to draw you in based on popularity and the other on reputation. However, if you ask most hardcore home theater enthusiasts, they’ll tell you that they still prefer Yamaha to Denon. That’s because of overall sound quality, customizability, and value.
However, that doesn’t mean you should write off Denon entirely. Denon offers certain key advantages such as convenient networking and control features. If you don’t want to hassle yourself with a home theater receiver that is difficult to use, then Denon is definitely the better choice.
If you want to spend five minutes on research that could save you thousand of dollars, this article is right for you. We spent 1000’s of hours of personal testing and research to create this article. We looked at over 100 of the best receivers on the market and made the final selection based on quality, price, and our personal experience. Our goal is to cut out all of the confusion and help people find the perfect receiver. So sit back, read on, and let us help you find the perfect surround sound receiver.
|Denon AVR-X4500H Receiver||Best Overall|
|Home Audio Power Amplifier System||Budget Pick|
|Pyle PDA5BU Amplifier Receiver Stereo||Upgrade Pick|